Monday, October 13, 2008

Becoming the Help

So I have told most of you about my new job. I have lost a few points in class rank and started in a career as 'the help'. I am now working for L, the producer and his baby's mama Florence (they aren't married or even a couple) so that they constantly have a minimum of 2 people by their side (but usually 3 or 4)...that, and I have become their nanny's fill-in. Little boy, almost 2 and half years old, and already developing a perfect palette and without a concept of the word 'no'.

"We don't like to use the word no, we want him to build confidence now, and learn his boundaries later," and "I know it slips sometimes, Ashley, but also don't say 'if you are a good boy', because this implies that we can be a bad boy."
Well anyway Florence is starting to grow on me, but L just sort of freaks me out. The worst is when he starts to serenade his son out of nowhere, trying so hard to sound professional. I just sort of idly stand by while he attempts falsettos and high notes to "You are so beautiful" (that was last night's hit) and there was a Beatle's song last week, maybe it was "Till There was You".


One day I worked I joined him and his son to the lake on his day off the set, and I felt as though I was there with my son and husband. I got a break from them for about an hour and half while they napped in the 2nd chauffeur's car. This was nice because I was able to walk around the lake, but when they called me to meet back up L handed me his sleeping son while he tried to bring him gracefully into the world. In the middle of the park, there I am awkwardly holding this man's son, while he is rubbing his back and kissing his small head, the only barrier between my face and his lips. Now, I know that he is just acting as loving father, but still I feel very strange in this position.

There are times where it is just me and the child, and it's fun. I just have been exposed to many awkward moments since I have begun this job. On the plus side, I am making more then the typical underpaid Berlin babysitter. L is just a weirdo, and Florence got pregnant with him evermore providing her with a sugar daddy and no responsibilities.

(Names have been changed a bit for my protection)

Today's Vocabulary Lesson:

zu viel Geld
= too much money




No comments: