Friday, January 15, 2010

Plane old coincidence

I got on my plane (one of the first ones on) and arranged my overhead belongings. After returning to my seat from a restroom break, I found the woman who'd be my neighbor for the flight rearranging my things. I didn't quite understand why she felt the need to move my things to the empty overhead compartment across the way instead of hers, but I decided to just let it be. Anyway as she was moving everything, she carelessly handled my laptop case so that it came tumbling down using the side of her face as a crash reliever. My heart dropped as I quickly swiped the case to make sure the computer still functioned. I didn't even receive an apology, only a shocked expression and a hand holding her recently braised cheek. I was annoyed, but relieved that my new-to-me computer seemed to still be in order.

Anyway it was at this moment that I realized that I had met this woman before. She had actually sat next to me on my flight over. An older, German lady whom was on her way to Florida. As I recalled from our bits of conversation last flight, she was actually quite lovely. I jogged her memory and we realized how strange it was that we were not only again on the same flight but also again sitting beside one another. Not only was I this time sitting at a different part of the plane but I also had chosen both seats. Anyway somehow I have decided to take this all as some sort of sign and I feel as though I should have taken her information or something. I didn't but somehow the fact that she had sat next to me once before caused me to feel less animosity to her. The rest of the flight we exchanged smiles and small bits of conversation.

No comments: