Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Brought Back

Music reminds me that I am the same person I always have been.

Seriously I have noticed that.  Sometimes it's hard to recall the person that you were years before.  How you thought, what you did, and how you felt about anything, but when I hear certain songs I am just instantly brought emotionally to a moment from my past.

For instance yesterday I was listening to a classical music radio station and a song came on that immediately triggered a specific emotion.  I didn't know what the piece was called but I suddenly realized that I used to hear my mom playing it on the piano as a kid. Part of me was brought back to this time and state, sitting in my family room at my small white table and chair set listening to my mothers' notes with such awe.  Again earlier this evening I found myself walking from my house to Ideenfabrik with my ipod on shuffle mode, when a Modest Mouse song came on.  From there I got nostalgic and emotional.  I was brought back to a time in my Ford Taurus driving from my high school to my babysitting job a couple towns over.  And I remembered how I felt about things at this time, and I saw how different my perspective has become.  But nonetheless I felt a bit of what I felt at this time.  I recalled with whom I had close relationships and where my priorities were.  It's an interesting thing.


Pictured here is certainly an old place to be brought back to
 
 
Music can remind you of who you once were and how that is part of the same person you are today.





 

1 comment:

LLieberman said...

Still wondering what the piece was and thinkming about back then ,too.