Oh and did I mention that these families are all gorgeous. I thought I loved Brooklyn hipster dad-babes, but the Berliner fathers win. And don't worry mom this is not me trying to tell you that I am starting a family in Germany. I do plan on coming home, someday.
Anyway I don't have too many crazy stories to tell yet. Full time school has been the major focus of this month. We make dinner together to save money - can't eat out all the time. I'm practically vegetarian because Bianca is, and I have been trying so many cool new vegetables as a result. Bianca is a really good, inventive cook, which is in turn expanding my cooking abilities.
I am utterly amazed at how well the three of us are working out as roommates/lifelines. Jess didn't know Bianca all that well, and I knew her even less, but we really have bonded into great friends, who after two weeks of spending nearly every minute together, pretty much know all there is to know about one another.
Last night Jess and I went out with one of our classmates Serena from Milan. We went into Kotbussertor which is a neighborhood that is comparable to Williamsburg/Bushwick - In other words, it's the place to go to if you are young and an artist. Anyway we went to grab a drink each at a couple different places, and discussed art and politics, all in broken English. She was very inspiring, and I am very excited to be her friend. On the way back since the U-Bahn does not run 24 hours like our superior subway system Jess & I had to walk halfway across Berlin back to our home. Basically a walk that probably if taken directly would have been 40 minutes became an hour & a half. We had a map and we live close to a giant monument but the monument was out of sight where we were, and a map is useless if street signs are non-existent or misnomered. We passed some crazies along the way an eventually got our booties home after many circles by 4 AM...
In any case, I love my life right now, and I am so happy that I am where I am right now. Not to mention I had the best icecream ever, a tiny slice of heaven for 4 Euro. I took a tiny break from writing this to eat in bed with Jess and listen to Patsy Cline / Rihanna.Well anyway tomorrow is Friday, So I'm psyched for another crazy weekendd!
Today's Vocab Word:
Frauhaus = Wife
We just think this word is funny because it means literally wife.house
Jobst = Job
This is pronounced with an American pronounciation of the 'j' and not a German 'y' sound because it was imported from our language. Go figure!
Was kostet das? = How much does that cost?
I would like to believe that German is just badly spelled English, but unfortunately the language is much more complicated than that. And Germans are supposed to be very systematic and rule-oriented...then why the hell are there so many exceptions to their language rules!
No comments:
Post a Comment