
When I was at Center Parcs with my family (nanny family that is) after all the incredibly heavy food I was being fed by the family. Greasy meat, tons of white bread rolls, croissants, noodles, cheese, and of course a constant flow of candy, all I wanted was a salad. I was being deprived of my vegetables! Anyway when I ordered I had the option of Balsamico, Italian, something else and American dressing. I chose Balsamico I believe for my very mediocre snack bar salad I think. But anyway the point of my story is that there was an American dressing. I asked Chris (the mom) what American dressing was. And turns out it's what we call Russian Dressing. Now it makes more sense to me that it's called American dressing - I mean it's KETCHUP & Mayo (though it also sounds like something that Germans would love - since they eat so well!) . I wanted to know why we call it Russian Dressing though.
So here are some Russian/American Dressing facts according to Wikipedia:
Russian dressing was invented in the United States in the late 1800s or early 1900s.
During the Cold War, many US restaurants referred to the dressing as "Sweet Tomato Dressing" to show their preference to capitalism over communism.
Some claim that the dressing's name originated in the fact that the condiment in those days typically included caviar, a food associated with Russia. Referenced at: Food Reference
No comments:
Post a Comment