Saturday, October 31, 2009

lament thy things no more

Objects and I have a complicated relationship. Theoretically, I cherish the important ones but don't wind up taking care of them all too well. Starting with the flood when I was 13, I began to value things less and less. At a very crucial age at that, where I was still young enough for 'old habits' to be young. So my packrat tendencies were able to minimize. I realized that all those things that I saved up until that point and had then lost, I survived without just fine, perhaps better - more simply. My mom always talked about buying one nice thing like a piece of jewelry or so to remember something by, like a trip or an event or an era, what have you.

Anyway, after millions of wallet misplacements, five hundred broken/lost/stolen cameras and bikes and everything else stupid....I am finally starting to come to terms with the fact that these are just things. It's something that you sort of tell yourself on autopilot after one of these episodes, but I finally feel as though I've begun to fully understand and appreciate this concept. The universe is simply teaching me this everytime I am spared of another one of my 'things.' They are only things--ONLY THINGS (ok so I still have to convince myself just a tiny bit). But I am really quite astounded at how little regeret I feel for these missing items. The point is maybe I should cease the day a bit more and not aways be so concerned with how I spend my money because chances are if I stress to much about it for the 'next big thing,' I'd just lose it somehow anyway. I used to feel my stomach sink everytime I thought about a lost possession but now I've finally become able to reevaluate my values a bit. . . and it feels great!

No comments: