Saturday, December 20, 2008

Current Status

So  I briefly introduced it...Jess and I started a kids clothing company.  We are embroidering adorable designs and sayings on baby and children's clothes.  We named it "Tiny Lives."  Our motto is 'Tiny Lives, Going Long Ways," and this is about ourselves and appropriate for our market as well.  Right now we are spending a lot of time cooped up at our kitchen table embroidering.  We plan to gather a lot of merchandise and then propose to sell our clothes to one of the various handmade in Berlin type stores that we have been scouting out throughout the city.  We will also be getting a website together soon too! 

It is something that I really enjoy working on and can easily do with limited space and budget.  I can stay home at night and still have something productive to work on.  It's a great new endeavor.  

Also I got a new nannying gig with a German family in the North East part of Berlin.  The parents speak English but the children do not.  I watch a 4 year old girl-Anna and a 9 year old boy-Tim.  It certainly is a challenge to take care of them when I only speak poor German, but I think it will really help me get a stronger grasp of the language.  

I only work for them 3 days a week, picking up the children from school, taking them to various activities, possibly making dinner, even doing some housework.  I feel like a came to Berlin to learn how to be a good mother.  But right now I perfectly happy taking odd jobs and having the time to work on 'Tiny Lives".  There is no reason that I have to be in New York working a single job and make just enough to pay rent.  Here I can work less and still have the time and be able to afford to start up a new business.  I am really excited with my life right now, and although it's a bit uncertain at times and difficult, it is the best learning experience I will ever have, and I am so glad that I made this almost random decision to come here. 

No comments: