Halloween was no typical NY Halloween, costume wise (or anything wise I guess), but we wound up going to a party at Villa. We spent about 2 hours gearing up in tin-foil costumes after having one of our weekly dinners. Yes, every weekend one person from the circle of friends hosts a dinner party.
Ok so that night until November 5, I spent at Jasch's on his couch in his studio apartment. Basically I became an amazing little Hausfrau. I cleaned up every dish, bought groceries, made some meals (although Jasch tells me disgustedly that I am too healthy for him), cleaned the apartment etc. It got a bit tight at times but all in all it was amazing for him to host me.
The night of the election I left for Paris (as discussed in detail last post). Paris was really nice. I stayed with Nora for 9 days and got to rediscover a city I once lived in. It was quite bizarre returning I must say. I am a completely different person since the last time I was there. There is one thing I am sure of now, Paris is beautiful, but it is not the right city for me to settle in. A) it is much too expensive! B) It is much more relaxed and accessible in Berlin. I mean this is visually illustrated simply in the immense difference between the wardrobe choices overall of Berliners and Parisians.
Regardless I did have a really nice time in Paris while there!
Then I came back for another week or so to Jasch's apartment. I got my visa. An artist visa for a year! I got an appointment and Jasch acted as translator, and together we were successful. Living in Jasch's started to get, well tight, and I was still somewhat underappreciated Hausfrau, but he was incredibly generous to let me into his tiny home (and for a good chunk of time both Jess and I sharing his couch). The truth is although we may have been somewhat of nuisance to him at times when we were giggling as he was trying to sleep, he was more than happy to have us in his home.
THENNNNNNN, we moved into our magical new apartment in Prenzlauer Berg on November 22. Yes, alone Jess and I in only two trips we lugged all of our belongings from one end of the city to the other all on midday UBahn with transfers. I'm really not quite sure how me manuevered it, but let me tell you I was sore for days after. From day one until this very day however, we had house guests galore, and let me add that already in this apartment which is a nice size in a very nice neighborhood, Jess and I do share a bed to cut rent costs dramatically. I will get more specific about that, but until then here is a bit of a rundown of my current status:
- I am on a crazy emotional rollercoaster daily.
- I am learning a lot about myself, other people, other cultures, my own culture, life.
- I can often be quite homesick, but not enough to turn back yet.
- I am talking to the owner of a Gallery - Cream Gallery. Bianca hooked me up with this connection through the father of the family that she aupairs for (Oh yeah Bianca is an aupair now). He may offer some paid work doing typical gallery stuff (installing, press release translating, sitting behind a desk, etc.) / look at my work for prospective shows.
- I'm not really working for the family anymore as a nanny because they currently have more help then they need.
- The chauffeure of that family is trying to help me get a job through some people who he knows. So, on Saturday I talk to a resataurant owner at its opening about possible work.
- Jess and I started a little business. We have begun embroidering cutsie little things that we will sell at Flea Markets or propose to sell at some stores we have been scouting that sell handmade items from Berlin.
- I don't know how I got to this point in life. I am constantly stepping outside of myself in utter shock of my current status.
No comments:
Post a Comment