
Week of Thanksgiving: It's a holiday for Americans so they were able to maneuver taking only a couple days and trek overseas to my neck of the woods (God Al Roker has really done a number on me). So Nick spent the week with me, with some special guests for a couple days at a time: first Mary Nelson & Sarah Craft, and then later in the week Mal, Claire & Lincoln and of course Chad!
So Nick moved into my apartment for a week. He actually came the same day as me. Anyway with all these people in and out of the city all week I had to show them around and take them out every night.So anyway I wake up after only a couple hours of sleep, not feeling so great. I know that I have a turkey that we preordered in our fridge. I also know that the turkey must be started early in the day because it takes a long time to cook, and as far as whole turkeys go, that's all I knew. I woke up realizing that our new kitchen was very lacking in supplies so I dragged myself out of bed to try and find the various pans, thermometers etc. that I needed / spices that I translated before shopping.

Then I came home exhausted to a very cold and mysterious turkey. I felt like I was handling a baby. Without any idea of what to do (everyone is always talking about how hard it is to make a turkey well), I you tubed 'how to make a turkey'. Jess walks into the kitchen after waking up (Chad is still in our bed. With all the house guests and the fact that Jess and I share a queen sized bed in this apartment, I was frequenting as the epitome of a third wheel climbing into bed with Jess and Chad).
Jess who is even less educated on the turkey making process, joins me to watch Martha Stewart's biggest fan explain via the computer what to do on Thanksgiving. Chad told me later that he woke up in the other room to my voice: "I don't even know what a fucking Giblet is! Where are they?" Turns out I wasn't way off because the Giblet was in fact pre-removed.

To make this already too long story short, with some frequent basting and temperature conversions and creative calculations (the oven only listed temperatures as 1-8), the turkey came out stupendous. All of the Germans who came had their first whole turkey. Jess, Chad, and I made the entire feast for 15 people, all made from scratch and aside from the obvious turkey all vegan (since we had a few with us). This included: turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, squash, mashed potatoes, stuffing, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and the next day turkey soup of course! We had leftovers for the next week, and the night was such a happy and magical one. I was really quite pleased.
No comments:
Post a Comment